YourCOMPLETEcontinuum of care!
What sets Summerhill apart from other senior communities? The extensive healthcare and living options at Summerhill which enable residents to live in one location as health care needs change is a key difference. Another very notable difference that you will see right away is the genuine friendliness and professional commitment of the dedicated staff. This commitment to quality and professional care has been present at Summerhill since the beginning.
Here's a brief overview of our history:
1965 - 1973
- Houston Halls was built in 1965 as a 50 bed nursing home.
1973 - 1988
- 1973, Bill & Wanda Davis purchased Houston Halls. The bed capacity was increased to 73 beds and the facility was renamed New Perry Nursing Home.
1988 - 1998
- In 1989 a major expansion increased the bed capacity to 100 beds. At this time, New Perry Nursing Home became certified as a Medicare provider.
- In 1993 an Alzheimer's/Dementia services were offered, providing care for individuals with mid-stage and late-stage Alzheimer’s Disease and related dementia.
- In 1998 New Perry Nursing Home changed its name to Summerhill Senior Community to reflect its coming expansion of services.
1998 - 2003
- New Perry Nursing Home's name was changed to Summerhill Senior Community to reflect the expansion of services offered through a restoration/expansion project into a full continuum of care.
The project was completed in two phases:
Phase One: 1999-2002
- Expansion of the existing skilled/intermediate nursing and rehab facility to include 26 additional private and semi-private beds.
- Addition of an Assisted Living Facility for 15 residents.
- Construction of 12 Independent Living Apartments
Phase Two: 2001-2003
- Construction of the Veranda Building which encompasses Veranda West Memory Care Center and Veranda East Assisted Living. Veranda West Memory Care has 34 skilled/ intermediate nursing facility beds for patients with Dementia / Alzheimer’s Disease. Veranda East houses 24 Assisted Living Residences.
2015 - Present
- Grand Opening of Veranda Rehab, a 20 bed skilled nursing center, designated solely to the care of patients needing short term rehabilitation services.